[GRASS5] New initialization code

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Nov 28 03:55:00 EST 2000

Okay, here's a little bug report and a track down of the problem.

I get this output:

Starting GRASS ...
Error in startup script: couldn't read file "wish8.2": no such file or
directory
/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE: parameter null or not set

But the problem stems from the finding of the "wish" command.  On my
system I have "wish", "wish8.0", "wish8.2" and "wish8.3".  "wish" is a
symbolic link the eventually points back to "wish8.3" (as the
preferential "wish").  The others are there because some programs are
built against older versions of Tcl/Tk.  There *might* be a fairly
straightforward solution for this.  In the configure.in, I grep tcl.h or
tk.h for the '#define TK_VERSION "x.x"' string.  I use this to attempt
linking/validation of libraries.  This information could easily be
passed down the Makefile chain and *should* obviate the need to search
for a particular "wish".  Perhaps this would be a problem for a binary
compilation using one version of tcl/tk and a user who has a different
version.  Anyway, I could easily export that variable if it will help.
Though, I wonder if it wouldn't be safer just to try "wish"?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>