[GRASS5] Re: notation standardisation

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Nov 27 10:40:41 EST 2000

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 12:30:45PM +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:
> > > NOTE: I'd like to get some kind of simple attribute database implemented
> > > in GRASS, but so far I haven't found anything that we could just plug in
> > > with a few tweaks.  The closest might be the Xbase library, but it's C++
> > > and I don't know how well Xbase files might support efforts at
> > > localization in the future.  Anyway, I bring this up, because
> > > identifying attributes by "type" and "index" is really cumbersome.
> > To have direct support would be very useful (instead of fiddling with
> > external databases). Xbase might be a good suggestion!
>
> How do you want to use such database. My suggestion is to write
> new driver for dbmi so that we would have one interface and
> could switch to other RDBMS by selecting some other driver.

Yes, that sounds good.  I haven't seen any documentation on the dbmi
interface though, which makes it harder to figure out how to program
for.

> > Concerning the "vocabulary":
> > Similar confusion is there with vector data:
> > My proposal:
> > category number  -> index
> > category label   -> attribute

Yep, but if GRASS has a native database driver that can always be
guaranteed to work, then all we really need is the "index" for the
vector object and it's associated attribute table.  User's could then
select which "field" to use for labelling functions.

> We use 'category number' for distinguishing more caterories on
> one element and 'category' for what you call 'index' (id,key) in new vect
> library (for grass51). Code is already written with these names.
> ('Category' is still only link to external database.)

I will have to look when I get a chance.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>