[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus ...

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Nov 24 12:32:28 EST 2000

Hi John, Hi Markus, Hi Grasslist,

i finished a compile with the latest cygwin setup on NT 4.0 SP 5 in this
minute.
I can now compile all modules from the standard GRASS list file
(including r.in.png and r.out.png).
I'll check in my changes to the CVS in the next days. I'll check in my
head file too.

I have now a running X11R6.4 installation, but can not start grass5 in
the xterm. But i managed somehow to start xwin from the grass shell
prompt.

_But_ the problem still remains that there is no graphical output yet.

After some code modifications i can now even compile the new IPC message
queue setup, but this still requires a lot of work to be done.

I would vote for dropping support for Windows 95/98 because the new
X11R6.4 port for windows with the cygnus tools will not work with Win9x.
The X11 programs are linked dynamically to the X11R6 libraries, so that
there is no chance to get this to work with the commercial X Servers
(e.g. MI/X), as they are based on X11R5. The usage of the X11 port for
the B20 version of the cygnus tools under the current V1.1 is not
supported.

>From my initial testing i can say that there are waiting some nasty
surprises, so that i would not recommend the download of the GRASS
binaries for cygwin to people who are not of the adventurous nature. And
the missing graphical output (the CELL and HTMLMAP driver depend on the
missing fifos!) and the mangled bash setup makes it a pain to work with.
Just as a warning, so that no false expectations arise.

How can we get graphical output and tcltkgrass running under this setup?
I can still not say if i can get the X monitor to work and if tcltkgrass
will work under the X11 Window Setup. I have the initial impression that
the X11 Setup is not for real work (it is a beta!).

If someone has ideas how we can get a windows port with graphical
output, please tell!

cu,

Andreas

John Huddleston wrote:

> Markus (Grass list)
>
> I updated my cygwin to the latest, completely removed all grass
> code from my drive, checked out grass5, and rebuilt grass5
> with only one hitch.  The src/cmd/head file still is not right.
> More details later, I uploaded the binary tar.gz to the incoming
> directory.
>
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/
>
> I see the email about the w98.  Clearly, the cygwin code has
> disclaimers about using it under Windows 98.  I used B20.1
> of Cygwin when I used w98.   All the grass5 compiled nicely
> with it. The B20.1 uses the cygwin32 convention though, and
> the config.guess must be adapted to ensure
>
> For those who have NT or Win2000, the install of Cygwin is
> more robust than ever, does not conflict with Windows, allows
> a Unix environment for windows users.  See the URL
> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ and download the setup.exe
> Execute it from windows explorer or the CMD line, not
> from bash.  click Next-> first.
>
> Next, it will prompt you to
> o) download from the internet
> o) install from internet
> o) install from local
>
> If you want the binaries (and sources) local, click the first
> If you have limited space, click the second
> If you have already downloaded from the internet, do the third
>
> I download from the internet to my F: drive first
> and then run setup a second time and install on
> either my C: or D: drive.   The default is the C:\cygwin
> which makes the root "/" equal to C:\cygwin.   I personally
> do not like that since I cannot get at my C: files from /
> so I override it with "C:\".  It warns me but goes
> on.
>
> Finally, the best part is that all the tcl/tk, png,tiff,
> and other items required to build grass5 are included
> with one exception, the libcygipc.a archive.
>
> So, I am attaching the head file for your use.  Some
> changes are yacc to bison -y, adding -lcygipc after
> XDRLIB.  Rename cygwin.txt to the head file as
> head.i686-pc-cygwin
>
> Let me know if you need more assistance,
>
> John Huddleston

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net