[GRASS5] GRASS module descriptions (3)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 23 13:29:11 EST 2000

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 09:56:02AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > unchanged:
> >  r.out.bil/r.out.bil2: shall we keep this? Probably update the new
> >  r.out.bin?
>
> Does the new r.in.bin handle bil files (Band interleaved by line)?
> There could be multiple image band in these types of files.  Does gdal
> support them?  As long as something does...

Eric,

GDAL supports a few forms of raw binary labelled files.  The most general
is likely the "PCI .aux labelled".  For this type, you write a .aux file
header for your data.  The format is described at:
 http://www.pcigeomatics.com/cgi-bin/pcihlp/GDB|Supported+File+Formats|Raw+Binary+Image+Format+(RAW)|Raw+.aux+Format

For instance, the following would described a binary file called test.raw
that is 300x300 with 2 bands, interleaved by line.

 AuxilaryTarget: test.raw
 RawDefinition: 300 300 2
 ChanDefinition-1: 16U 0 2 1200 Swapped
 ChanDefinition-2: 16U 600 2 1200 Swapped

The chan definition fields are:

  type: ie. 8U, 16U, 16S or 32R
  offset to first pixel: in bytes
  offset between pixels: in bytes
  offset between scanlines: in bytes
  byte order flag: Swapped for LSB (intel), or Unswapped for MSB (sun)

Best regards,