[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus ...

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Nov 22 18:38:19 EST 2000

Hi Mike, Hi Justin,

sorry that i can not give any useful advice on this.
But i can not confirm this a cygwin bug.
With my cygwin setup (last updated one week ago) ./configure, make, make
install and gmake5 work.

So you could try the following: update cygwin, do a make distclean and
./configure && make && make install again. And/or do a cvs update -dP
before starting the new build.

cu,

Andreas

Mike Thomas wrote:

> Hi Justin.
>
> > > Here's another problem with a clean cvs updated  and ./configured
> > > grass source directory - gmake5.0 is not found even though it is there
> > > (maybe a Cygwin problem?):
> >
> > This may be caused by the Makefile since gmake5.0 should be named
> > gmake5. This change was done a few months ago but I don't see why the
> > file name is gmake5.0 instead of gmake5. Perhaps there is something
> > wrong with the VERSION or NAME_VER definition in the Makefile?
>
> I checked these variables and they seem OK.
>
> There is a gmake5 script in /usr/local/bin:
> ---------------------------------------
> :
> SRC=//f/source/cvsroot/grass/src
> CMD=//f/source/cvsroot/grass/src/CMD
> HEADER=head.i586-pc-cygwin
> HASX=yes
> HASMotif=no
> MAKE=make
> . //f/source/cvsroot/grass/src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh
> ---------------------------------------
>
> and a gmake5.0 in src/CMD
> ---------------------------------------
> :
> SRC=${GRASSSRC}
> CMD=${SRC}/CMD
> HEADER=${HEADER}
> . $CMD/generic/gmake.sh
> ---------------------------------------
>
> The Makefile sets GMAKE = ${SRCDIR}/src/CMD/gmake5.0 and then calls gmake5.0
> via src/CMD/generic/GISGEN.sh which contains early on:
>
> ---------------------------------------
> # GMAKE must be set outside this script, by CMD/GISGEN
>
> : ${GMAKE?}
> $GMAKE -sh
> eval `$GMAKE -sh` || exit 1
> : ${GISBASE?} ${SRC?} ${CMD?}
> ---------------------------------------
>
> And it is the middle two lines which cause the problem claiming that the
> script is missing twice:
> ---------------------------------------
> $GMAKE -sh
> eval `$GMAKE -sh` || exit 1
> ---------------------------------------
>
> I am no Bash expert, but it seems that not only do these two lines try to
> execute the same thing twice, but that under Cygwin they fail because the
> script can't be found, even though it is there.  (I also tried substituting
> the gmake 5 script and got the same problem.
>
> My conclusion is that Cygwin Bash has a bug here.
>
> Never-the-less:
>
> 1.  Why does BASH seem to execute the same line twice?
> 2.  Why do we need both gmake5 and gmake5.0 and why are the names so
> confusing?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike Thomas.

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net