[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus ...

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Thu Nov 23 03:35:19 EST 2000

Hi Justin.

> > . //f/source/cvsroot/grass/src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh
>     ^^
>
> I think I may have found the problem. It depends on your setup and
> cygwin, but these two slashes on a windows machine may be interpreted
> (such as in Tcl) as a network file where f would be the machine name. I
> assume that f is not a machine name, thus, cygwin may be trying to find
> the file on a machine named f instead of the directory f. Thus, you are
> getting the error you mentioned in your previous mail (it has the same
> //).
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea where the double slash is coming from. It
> appears to be coming from the interpretation of environment variables,
> but I'm not sure, I've never used cygwin.

The // is the Cygwin shortcut for Windows drive letters in Unix like paths.
My email program keeps inserting the "file:" infront of the // because it
thinks it is a network file name as you mentioned.

However, it may be that Cygwin itself is getting confused about the // at
some level!

> Sorry I couldn't be of much help Mike.

I learnt something and your time is much appreciated thanks.

Regards

Mike Thomas