[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus ...

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Wed Nov 22 14:00:14 EST 2000

Hi Justin.

> > Here's another problem with a clean cvs updated  and ./configured
> > grass source directory - gmake5.0 is not found even though it is there
> > (maybe a Cygwin problem?):
>
> This may be caused by the Makefile since gmake5.0 should be named
> gmake5. This change was done a few months ago but I don't see why the
> file name is gmake5.0 instead of gmake5. Perhaps there is something
> wrong with the VERSION or NAME_VER definition in the Makefile?

I checked these variables and they seem OK.

There is a gmake5 script in /usr/local/bin:
---------------------------------------
:
SRC=//f/source/cvsroot/grass/src
CMD=//f/source/cvsroot/grass/src/CMD
HEADER=head.i586-pc-cygwin
HASX=yes
HASMotif=no
MAKE=make
. //f/source/cvsroot/grass/src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh
---------------------------------------

and a gmake5.0 in src/CMD
---------------------------------------
:
SRC=${GRASSSRC}
CMD=${SRC}/CMD
HEADER=${HEADER}
. $CMD/generic/gmake.sh
---------------------------------------

The Makefile sets GMAKE = ${SRCDIR}/src/CMD/gmake5.0 and then calls gmake5.0
via src/CMD/generic/GISGEN.sh which contains early on:

---------------------------------------
# GMAKE must be set outside this script, by CMD/GISGEN

: ${GMAKE?}
$GMAKE -sh
eval `$GMAKE -sh` || exit 1
: ${GISBASE?} ${SRC?} ${CMD?}
---------------------------------------

And it is the middle two lines which cause the problem claiming that the
script is missing twice:
---------------------------------------
$GMAKE -sh
eval `$GMAKE -sh` || exit 1
---------------------------------------

I am no Bash expert, but it seems that not only do these two lines try to
execute the same thing twice, but that under Cygwin they fail because the
script can't be found, even though it is there.  (I also tried substituting
the gmake 5 script and got the same problem.

My conclusion is that Cygwin Bash has a bug here.

Never-the-less:

1.  Why does BASH seem to execute the same line twice?
2.  Why do we need both gmake5 and gmake5.0 and why are the names so
confusing?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.