[GRASS5] Win32 cygnus compile

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Mon Nov 20 03:47:30 EST 2000

Andreas Lange wrote:
> i started a compile for Win32 with the cygnus system.
[...]
> One thing that i encountered:
> The g.html2man part needs perl, which is not installed by default on
> cygwin and is not tested for in the configure process.
>
> I would vote against making perl a pre-requisite to compile GRASS.

Well, it can be replaced by a lex/yacc/C program, but the perl script
is much more easy to debug and/or enhance.

What about shell scripts with Win ? do they work ? if not, why not
use perl, which is easely available and can do everything ?

Another thing you will encounter is the use of unix commands in some
shell scripts, like g.manual that calls "man" (since man pages are in html
this is probably not an issue, you must just use a web browser for
reading the manual with Win).  And if you cannot use g.manual, it is not
very usefull to have g.html2man...

Is there mandatory to have "exactly" the same utilities in Win and
Unix, or should we consider that some of them will only work with
one OS ?

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton