[GRASS5] Bug tracking system ?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Nov 13 13:07:33 EST 2000

Hi all,

thanks for yll your useful comments!
Current status:

- bug report form:
  http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/bugtracking/bugreport.html
 -> this form is generating a mail to grass-bugs at geog.uni-hannover.de
    and neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de (cc)
  since today.

- grass-bugs archive:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=LIST&L=grass-bugs

That's the "trivial" approach.

Bernhard and Frank Warmerdam have offered to set up bugzilla,
either at intevation.de or www.remotesensing.org.

bugzilla offers beside bug reports a form for suggestions as well.

It seems most of the experienced (professional) programmers tend
to start a grass-bugzilla.

IMHO such a system, which is independent from a person (like our current
simple system is since today), is quite valuable. Question is how much
we have to learn to manage bugzilla. At least me I am unexperienced with
that, but even learned CVS a while ago (and love it!) :-)

Currently we have numerous bugs listed in BUGS. I am rather sure
that at least 3-5 bugs are listed, but already fixed. I am willing
to participate in "bug-uploading". But we should only migrate
bugs which can be reproduced.

Concerning the bug.report.sh script:
Perhaps it could post directly to bugzilla. But most people are offline,
so they cannot make to much use of it. I guess, we need it heavily modified
to be real help.

Conclusion: From my side we should try the bugzilla-experiment. Then
it is less dependent from my person (currently I am obviously beside
Andreas the only person modifying BUGS). With increasing numbers of
programmers in this project, more people may take over the "bugs
management".

If the others agree, perhaps Bernhard and Frank W. may discuss who would
set up grass-bugzilla.

Regards

 Markus