[GRASS5] New MacOS X compilation errors

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sun Nov 12 14:57:22 EST 2000

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 08:53:52AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 11:08:32PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Markus - I downloaded the CVS snapshot, thanks for making it available.
> >
> > First of all, the configure script cannot find my Tcl/Tk libraries -
> > I compiled and tested them on my OS.  After fooling around for a
> > couple hours I gave up on it.  My Tcl/Tk libraries are installed in
> > /usr/local/
> I face this problem on Solaris, too. Sorry, no idea. Could you
> try the
> configure --with-tcltk=/usr/local
> ?
>
> > It looks like the configure script looks for Tcl/Tk 8.0.5 and not
> > 8.0.5.a, so I tried adding the the .a to the logic - but no go. The
> > script finds the X windows and open GL stuff fine.
> >
> > I install Tcl/Tk 8.0.5.a, should install a different version?
> Maybe you could make a link from 8.0.5.a to 8.0.5 in the libs directory?

I think he's talking about the static library here? It should just be
/usr/local/lib/libtk.8.0.a and /usr/local/lib/libtcl.8.0.a.  I think the
problem is it is not in the path known by the compiler/make/configure
and so it's not being found.  Try the various tcltk flags for configure.

> > The CVS snapshot seems to be missing some files that were are present
> > in the beta 8 build.
> >
> > Mainly speaking the "sys/msg.h" file required source/libes/raster
> Well, this is *not* a GRASS file (wans't there in the past):
> It is a system file, on Linux you find it here:
> /usr/include/sys/msg.h
>
> I am not sure if it is required on MAC. You could
> cd /usr/include/sys/
> touch msg.h
>
> to generate an empty file to trick GRASS. Due to library dependencies
> the other stuff wasn't compiled.

<sys/msg.h> has the IPC message queue declarations used in the new
sockets connect.c file.  It shouldn't be the default to use that, and
there isn't another file there that uses it. So...

BTW, sys/msg.h is specific to Sys V Unix and may not be present on
others (like BSD aka Mac OS X).  There's a POSIX implementation (but I
don't find the header mqueue.h on Linux !!!).

This could be a real problem for the new interface for the display
driver.

[snip ...]

> > readsites_xyz.c:164: illegal expression, found `}'
> > make[1]: *** [OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin1.2/readsites_xyz.o] Error 1
> > GISGEN failure at STEP: src/libes/gis
> This one is very strange (hi Eric!).

Hmm, the compiler doesn't deal with empty "default:" statements in a
switch properly???  Try removing the line above that has the empty default
statement and see if it works then.  If it does, I'll remove it from the
CVS version (but it's really a compiler bug).

file: grass/src/libes/gis/readsites_xyz.c line 163
				default: /* No cat */

--
#! /bin/sh
# ppp-address: What's my Internet Address for ppp0 ?