[GRASS5] distance-to-watershed

Helena Mitasova - staff helena at gis.uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 12 15:53:24 EST 2000

>for a friend I am searching for a distance-to-watershed
>algorithm (to convince him about GRASS). He needs to
>calculate the nearest distance from each *cell* in the
>watershed to the watershed boundary along the elevation
>surface.
>
>Does anyone already have such a module/script available?

If I understand it correctly,
he can try to use r.flow or r.flowmd with output flowpath
length and -u flag:

The values in length maps computed using the -u flag represent
the distances from each cell to an upland flat or singular point.

If there are no flat cells or depressions within the watershed
the flowline will end at the watershed boundary.

r.watershed also includes the capability to compute the flowpath
length although it outputs it in the form of the USLE length
factor, so one would have to go into the code and add it as another option.

Helena