[GRASS5] Jan's copyright notice ++

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Nov 10 13:30:52 EST 2000

Hi all,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 11:03:13AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Justin Hickey wrote:
> >
> > Hello all
> >
> > Andreas Lange wrote:
> > > thank you for your patience. I think all questions are answered now.
> >
> > OK, then since Frank seems to be busy, I'll update the SUBMITTING file
> > the way he proposed earlier.
>
> Heh! Now I do have a concern with the log messages being used in the
> header. While looking into the use of the $Log$ keyword in the document
> "Version Management with CVS" by Per Cederqvist et al, I came across the
> following warning in section 12.5 "Problems with the $Log$ keyword"

[...]
> What concerns me is the second paragraph concerning the conflicts that
> can result from a merge operation. Since we are about to create a new
> branch that will eventually be merged back in, then I think we need to
> take this problem into consideration.
>
> Without any experience with this problem, I would recommend that we do
> not use the $Log$ keyword to avoid what could be major headaches in the
> future given the size of Grass. Am I being paranoid? What do people
> think?

Justin, this is a very important concern! I agree that we could get
many problems especially from code merging.
There must be a cvs command to get the Log for a specific file (just
can't find my CVS book). Like that we could read the log without
putting it into the code. I would prefer the $Id$.

Regards

 Markus