[GRASS5] new r.in.bin[2]

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Nov 10 12:25:08 EST 2000

Hi all,

Bob Covill <bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca> has improved the r.in.bin:

 r.in.bin [-s] input=name output=name [title="phrase"] [mult=value]
   [bytes=value] north=value south=value east=value west=value r=value
   c=value [subst=old,new]

Flags:
  -s   Signed data (high bit means negative value)

Parameters:
   input   Bin raster file to be imported
  output   Name for resultant raster map
   title   Title for resultant raster map
    mult   Multiplier for bin data
           default: 1.0
   bytes   Number of bytes per cell (1, 2, 4)
           default: 1
   north   Northern limit of geographic region
   south   Southern limit of geographic region
    east   Eastern limit of geographic region
    west   Western limit of geographic region
       r   Number of rows
       c   Number of columns
   subst   Replace 1st value by 2nd one.
           default: 0,0

--------------
from his mail:
It could still use some testing and cleaning up, but it would be good
to try on some different data.  The program require the tiff library
to build, so there is a -ltiff flag for the linker in the
Gmakefile. The Tiff library contains routines for byte swapping which
I use in the code.

I added a simple routine that automatically checks the file size
against the bytes parameter and if it does not match it exits and
suggests a new bytes parameter.

The program has three flags, -s for signed data (I have not tested
this option yet), -f to import floating point data, and -b to byte
swap data during import.

The same parameters are used as the old program. The subst parameter
has changed slightly, as it now wants a single value that it will
substitute null for.

I think these improvements are valuable and should "ignore" the code-freeze
as there is a demand for a good binary import tool.

I have checked into CVS:
src/raster/r.in.bin2

If the code is working, we should replace the original
src/raster/r.in.bin

Regards

 Markus Neteler