[GRASS5] Jan's copyright notice ++

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Nov 8 05:18:34 EST 2000

Hi Andreas, and all

I was waiting for a reply from Frank but he must be busy or something,
thus the late reply.

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi Justin, hi all,
>
> thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry that i was not clear
> about my proposal, i fear that this was only understandable with
> knowledge from some personal communication with Markus and Jan-Oliver.
> As it will not be possible to add my idea in GRASS5.0stable i will
> postpone this. In outline: I want to add a function G_define_module()
> to the parser that allows to define title, author, version and a short
> description of the module from within the module. This would allow to
> add author(s), title, version and the description to the xml output
> with --interface-description. This information is then usable for the
> GUI (window title, description, help system, searching for keywords),
> with G_usage() output and could be processed for automatic generation
> of the html-index-pages. This all would be a part of "modularization"
> of GRASS and help keeping all information in one place (e. g. from
> source header, tcltkgrass-modules-files, html-index-pages, etc). But i
> don't know if it is realistically possible to include this in all
> modules.

Ahh, OK I understand now, it is a system for storing information at the
module level. I don't know how this would work on the file level though.
For example, in a large module, there could be several authors with each
author responsible for different files. Thus the module level
information should include all authors, but the file level information
should only include the authors for that file.

It seems that the file level information will be different than the
module level information, but perhaps your system can get the author
names from the file. I'm not sure, it's just a suggestion.

> I agree with the header structure as it is now. I have only one
> additional question: What should be written for AUTHOR(S) for code
> where the author is not known? We should define something here.

I have started to put something like the following for code I have
changed or rewritten:

* AUTHOR(S):	Original author unknown - probably CERL
*		Justin Hickey - jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th

I think that is about the best we can do. If the original author is
determined then it can be changed.

> Another concern are the log messages. If i do a back envelope
> calculation here: we have over 300 modules, if every module consists
> of average 3 files and we add 10 lines to each, we get additional 9000
> lines of code to store in CVS. As we add the log messages to the
> libraries and add the header with further 10 lines, we should
> calculate to add about 20.000 or 30.000 lines to the code in the long
> run. Will this cause any problems? I simply don't know. The log
> messages could be generated from CVS, so it would be less convinient
> to the programmer if we do not store them with the source files.

Personally, I don't have any concerns about whether the log messages
should be included or not. However, since CVS can handle grass (as big
as it currently is) I don't think the added lines of code will cause any
problems. But you have a point about the logs being available through
CVS.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th