[GRASS5] flex/lex, compatibility

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Nov 6 14:49:25 EST 2000

Hi James,

you are correct, flex is not always installed. But without it you won't
be able to compile grass5 sources. That is what i wanted to say.
I know of no linux system with a non-GNU standard lex. Sometimes lex is
a shell script which calls flex -l (that is flex in lex compatibility
mode).

cu,

Andreas

James Cameron wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 07:25:55PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> > On Linux this causes no problems as flex is always installed
>
> Not so, it might not be installed.  But if it is installed "lex" is a
> symbolic link to "flex".  At least this is so on Red Hat and Debian
> GNU/Linux.
>
> --
> James Cameron    mailto:quozl at us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net