[GRASS5] Jan's copyright notice ++

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Thu Nov 2 13:19:02 EST 2000

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> i think you misunderstood me partly.
> I was not thinking of auto-extractable function descriptions (like with
> lclint) but only of a very simple tag for authors and copyright
> statements. I think your proposal is very reasonable, but if we want
> later to generate xml-desriptions for the info on the module (authors,
> title, purpose of module) we have to re-write the same info again.
>
> If we could agree on some simple concept we can avoid doubling the work.
> No one will be forced to use this, esp. with the libraries the
> information is not needed. This affects only the modules, where
> currently the information is spread among source code, text files, old,
> no longer maintained man-pages, html-files, READMEs, TODOs, howtos etc.
> I believe that we can in the long run save much time if we agree on a
> new, simple concept.
>
> So i would propose to use the header you suggested for all library
> files, but discuss how we can in future improve the modules concept
> (again, we are not forced to implement this in every module, but if
> someone reworks the code, it will be not too much work to implement
> this).

Andreas,

I would agree that we shouldn't spend much time putting in purposes for
GRASS commands, since that is already addressed in the user help (in the
.html file).  The duplication of author is likely not a big deal.

>> Beyond the above I would like to see capture of log messages automatically.
>> I find it enormously useful to be able to scan back through log messages (the
>> same messages entered on a CVS commit) when looking at source file.

Markus says:
>The problem might be that the files get longer and longer. Is there an
>option to restrict the lines (aka versions) to be shown?

Markus,

There is no way of instructing CVS to restrict the number of versions
inserted that i know of.  Normally I just hand trim the history when I
see it getting very long.  I would also suggest omitting the $Log$
from files like gisdefs.h that are likely to be updated very frequently
with additions of prototypes and so forth.

Shall we say the proposed header for library source files will be as shown
below?  For grass commands the purpose might be as simple as "Mainline for
r.in.gdal" with the user documentation existing elsewhere.  If a command
is split into several files, the purpose should try to address what part of
the overall work is done in that source file.

 * $Id: make_loc.c,v 1.2 2000/11/02 18:05:04 frankw Exp $
 *
 * MODULE: 	libgrass (should go into libgis)
 * AUTHOR(S):	Frank Warmerdam - warmerda at home.com
 * PURPOSE: 	Function to create a new location automatically given a
 *              "Cell_head", PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS information.
 *
 * COPYRIGHT:  	(C) 2000 by the GRASS Development Team
 *
 *   	    	This program is free software under the GPL (>=v2)
 *   	    	Read the file COPYING that comes with GRASS for details.
 * $Log: make_loc.c,v $
 * Revision 1.2  2000/11/02 18:05:04  frankw
 * added G_set_cellhd_from_projinfo
 *
 * Revision 1.1  2000/10/31 04:39:43  frankw
 * New
 */

If this is acceptable I will update the SUBMITTING file accordingly.

Best regards,