[GRASS5] proposal for a grass command interface description for automatic GUI building

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Mon Oct 30 03:56:26 EST 2000

Hi Markus,

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 03:36:44PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Updating
> > tcltkgrass is a lot of work and should be automated. I already supplied
> > functions to read in the ellipse.table, fonts table and other
> > configurable files on startup of tcltkgrass.
> > We could cache the interface descriptions, e. g. with a script that
> > re-generates the files on re-compiling or adding a module.
> Yes, probably the parser.c can talk "tcl" as well to generate the
> module descritions needed by gui.tcl/menu.tcl.

Making the parser talk tcl would mean to have it speak two
languages (xml and tcl). I think it is better to have tcltkgrass
speak xml, so it can parse the user interface description.

In the current tcl user interface descriptions there is some more
information than the modules themselves can provide (e.g. short description).
Once we make al modules know such things, we could get rid of the
extra tcl-based UI descriptions and use the output of --interface-description
as well.

Cheers

	Jan

--