[GRASS5] proposal for a grass command interfacedescriptionforautomatic GUI building

Tim Cera timcera at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 27 23:40:51 EDT 2000

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > I think the command line interface should use the XML also.  Instead of
> > having I/O commands hard coded in each command, a parser should be
> > called that would read the XML, collect user input, return appropriatly
> > set variables.
>
> The information on how a componenent works and what it needs is
> necessarily an integral part of the component itself.
> If you make the component load an external file with its
> interface description, it still needs to check whether
> it is compatible with its actual capabilities. You need
> error handling etc.
> To my mind the interface specification should be generated from
> the place where the interface is actually coded.
> Only this way overall consistency is guaranteed.

Good point.  Could the command line interface still use the XML by
calling --interface-description?  That sounds kinda messy ... ah
nevermind.

> For the language: I estimate that the GRASS community has
> the wish for say 10 languages. We have more than 400 commands
> so we need to manage and take care for over 4000 xml-files to have
> a consistent user interface.
> hm, possible, but I would like to have it more simple.
> We really should not mix languages and user interface descriptions.

That is why XML has such great advantages.  There could be a XSL file
with a lot of the interface stuff, and XML with the text.

> Which advantages for users do you mean to gain by seperate user interface
> description files? Perhaps I am missing something. (I don't have learned
> about any facet of GRASS yet; its just a too mighty dragon ;-)

My day job is at an ESRI only shop and they have developed a whole suite
of local changes via Avenue, AMLs, ...etc.  Say a GRASS admin wanted to
include some help with a particular command that is specific to that
organization.  Just edit the XML.  Not a huge advantage.  The best
reason is still easy internationalization.

Something new.  It would be nice to have a 'Help' button that is
described in the XML and will open up the man page.  I sure can find
work for you!  :-)

take care
tim

timcera at earthlink.net