[GRASS5] r.to.sites: change proposal for -a

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Oct 27 22:08:12 EDT 2000

The site list format spec. says FP cats are okay (though, I disagree
with this notion).  It also says a cat is not required.  The tricky
thing here is, if the raster is an INT type, then you really want to put
the value in the cat since there is no INT attribute type in the sites
spec.  Automatically putting it in a '%' (decimal) field will cause it
to alway be interpreted as FP later.  On the flip side, some modules are
not up to date with the current sites format (s.surf.rst is mentioned)
and expect a certain format.  These modules should be updated so the
user can specify what attribute to use (it's often relatively easy
to add this functionality).

As far as r.to.sites goes,  I'm favoring either writing a cat for CELL,
or writing a '%' for FCELL.  I *really* don't like non-integer values
for the cat.  It screws up conversion to vector which does not support
FP cats (and really can't).

Many of these problems could be cleanly resolved by implementing a
native attribute database in GRASS.  Something like xBase would even
work.  This is not a small task though.

--
#! /bin/sh
# ppp-address: What's my Internet Address for ppp0 ?