[GRASS5] proposal for a grass command interface description for automatic GUI building

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Oct 23 18:18:35 EDT 2000

Hi Jan-Oliver,

your proposal sounds very interesting.

I have only to add that some modules in GRASS 5.0 need updating/fixing
to work as expected.

First there should be some standardization on the interface, eg. we have
to define when to use "file=" and when "input= output=" etc.
This is not required for the XML parsing, but for the user. And should
be done as soon as possible.

Next i found that some modules are not build in/to the correct location:
All binaries that are interactive should go into $(BIN_MAIN_INTER) (=
etc/bin/main/inter), command line versions should go into
$(BIN_MAIN_CMD) (= etc/bin/main/cmd), programs that provide both
functions must get a program that switches beween both versions in bin.

If you find modules that do not work as expected, please tell me as i
will try to update them (already fixed g.setproj).

cu,

Andreas

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Dear GRASS developers,
>
> I am developing a bridge between GRASS commands and OSSIM together with
> Frank Warmerdam and Bernhard Reiter.
>
> I am currently working on GRASS forms descriptions that
> define command options and arguments of GRASS commands
> with associated information. These forms can be used
> to automatically build simple GUIs for entering values
> and launching the GRASS commands.
>
> My main ideas for the way to go are
>
>         * GRASS programs can be asked for the parameter description
>         * parameter description is based on XML.

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net