[GRASS5] vector bug?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Oct 20 11:39:28 EDT 2000

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 05:56:39PM +0200, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i discovered a problem with a vector file. As i have no clue what is
> happening, i'll describe the symptoms here:
> global dataset from hannover server, untarred and chown'ed to my account
> (permissions are correct):
> d.vect coastlines says:
> file has been modified, you MUST first run "v.support"
>
> next:
> running v.support on coastlines:
> i filled in all values...
> Orig. Scale is -1067646976 (overflow?)
> ERROR: could not build vector file.
>
> Same with v.out.ascii.
>
> can not fix this. grass4.3 displays the file without problems, my other
> vector files are still intact.

Currently I don't have 4.3 running. So:

You could run v.support within 4.3 on "coastlines" to get it from 3.0 into
4.0 format, and then v.support again in 5.0. But maybe you already tried
this....
The proper scale can be set with v.digit.

Please let me know if you managed. Then we should provide a global dataset
package for GRASS 5.

Thanks

 Markus