[GRASS5] attribute lines

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Oct 20 10:52:18 EDT 2000

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 06:51:28PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Eric G . Miller wrote:
>
> > I still believe an identifier should be an integral value because FP
> > numbers may be irrational or suffer from rounding errors.  Only integer
> > values (or unique character strings) can discretely identify xyz thing.
>
> Eric,
>
>   Mea culpa! I mis-read the original message. Yes, identifiers should be
> intergers, not floats. I was thinking of working with the values for each
> cell, not the cell ID itself.
>
>   I withdraw my comments. Please forget that you wasted time thinking about
> them. :-)

Not bad.  I got me thinking about modifying s.to.rast to allow
specifying what attribute type and the index to that attribute to use
for the raster cat attribute.  Right now, it just tries to use a string
attribute (though for r.mapcalc, it might be useful to have one of the
other floats).  It'd mean another parameter to s.to.rast and I know how
I feel about modules that require alot of parameters... Still, think
it'd be useful.

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found