[GRASS5] Re: Compiling on Solaris

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Oct 19 09:54:03 EDT 2000

Hi Justin, hi all,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 12:21:26PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi Markus
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > at time I am trying to compile GRASS on our SUN. But
> > I get tons of
> > /data3/grass5/grass/src/CMD/gmake5.0: test: argument expected
> >
> > Do you have any idea for that?
>
> Hmmm. It would appear that there is a missing argument for the test
> command. This means that the test command might be different on SUN than
> other machines. Try comparing the man pages for SUN and Linux to see if
> there are any differences in number of arguments, argument types, etc.
>
> I would say that the error is generated from the file
> src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh since it is sourced from src/CMD/gmake5.0. I
> checked this file and all test commands have at least one argument. But
> there are some that I'm not sure of. For example on line 60 there is the
> following:
>
> 	test -d $dirname || mkdir $dirname
>
> I'm not sure if this is standard or not since I'm only just becoming
> familiar with complex sh scripting. But it would be something like this
> that I would look into.

Finally I found the problem in src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh line 223:
if test -e $makefile

 -> if test -f $makefile

I have changed in CVS. The test -e seems to be buggy on Solaris and
test -f does the same effect (test if file is there). On Linux it
compiles as well, please report any problems.

Additionally I have added to Makefile.in (general in grass/) to remove the
next_step file in order to start the compilation *always* from beginning
(see my other post a few days ago).

Happy again...

  Markus

PS: I will try to build the Solaris NVIZ now.