[GRASS5] Re: GRASS - Prototypes and encapsulation

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Oct 17 03:31:31 EDT 2000

Hello all

I basically agree with what Andreas has said but I want to add a couple
of points that I may be able to contribute.

Andreas Lange wrote:
> At first i think that we have to define the programming style before
> we start to modify the source (automated or by hand). We now have no
> style suggestions/standards so that it is not possible for the authors
> to confine to a standard (other than ANSI-C, with which not much is
> won). I would ask to give the authors active right now the opportunity
> to revise their own code before changing anything automated. ( I am
> scared that i can not read my own code after that ...).

After the code freeze, I am willing to draw up an initial draft for a
programming style if people are interested.

> Language support: This includes two different topics: The language of
> the interfaces (for the modules, tcltkgrass and the documentation) and
> the output of multibyte characters/non ANSI characters on the CELL
> driver (monitors). I think the second is more important. The first
> would require some sort of "pluggable" language files, as i fear that
> a complete implementation of internationalisation is too much work.
> This is done very smart in TNTmips (sorry that i compare here with
> commercial software), where users can provide text files with their
> own translation. But with grass the approach has to consider the
> modularized structure.

Before Jacques Bouchard submitted his revised version of tcltkgrass, I
had started working on a new version that had the system you describe. I
know how to do it but it will be a tedious job to change tcltkgrass or
plain grass for that matter.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th