[GRASS5] user interface standardization

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Oct 16 15:44:56 EDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 06:09:06PM +0200, Andreas Lange wrote:
[...]
> Could we standardize on the user interface for this?
> (attr=string, cat, double, coords, dim; index=number, ignored if
> attr=cat or attr=coords). This should be the same for all modules that
> convert sites data to raster/vector, if applicable.
>
> I think that for the user interface of the modules some more
> standardization is needed, e. g. the modules use file= map= sites= vect=
> raster= and so on, but there was IMHO the standard to use map= if only
> one type of data is to be displayed, input=/output= if data is imported
> or exported or shuffeled around in grass mapsets/locations.
>
> Where is this standard/convention explained? Can't remember.
Thanks Andreas for this point. Actually I can't remember, too.
But we need some standard:

Import/Export modules:
  s.in.ascii sites=name [input=name]
    * reads from stdin

  r.in.ascii input=name output=name
  i.in.erdas input=name output=name

 -> the raster/imagery modules have input=,
    but the s.in.ascii sites=
 => not consistent (I propose a change in s.in.ascii)

  v.in.shape in=name
 -> v.in.shape should use "input" as well

  v.in.arc vector_out=name lines_in=name [points_in=name] [text_in=name]
 -> again another name (vector_out): should be "output"

  v.out.arc vect=name arc_prefix=name
 -> again another name (vect): should be "input="

etc. It should be less complex than now.

We should remove this confusion, I am willing to help (the related HTML
pages needs to me updated, too).

But we need to agree first. Do we need a full list of options?

Markus