[GRASS5] nviz-bugs

Helena Mitasova - staff helena at gis.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 10 17:19:19 EDT 2000

Markus,

please store this somewhere, in case I loose it or forget
about it. None of it is really urgent (except the legend)
and can wait untill 5.1 release.

NVIZ2.2 runs pretty well on LINUX, however there are several
things which are

1. missing/not working which worked in SGI version

1.1 Scripting is not there at all, if I remember correctly
it did not work in the SGI OpenGL version but it worked very well
in the original SGI version - it is a powerful tool for
doing complex animations (especially if you know tcl/tk,
but even if you don't know it the tutorial and GUI is good enough
to be able to some advanced dynamic visualization.
Does anybody know where the script_tools are?

Error in startup script: couldn't read file "script_tools": no such file or directory

1.2  The lights do not work if the surface values are floating point
between 0.0 - 1.0 - this was fixed in SGI version and I believe that it
was due to the fact that the surface normals were computed as integers.

1.3 nviz2.2 -q
is looking for a -q map,

WARNING: unable to find [-q] in [(null)]
WARNING: unable to open raster map [-q in (null)]
Not able to open cellfile for [-q]

but then it opens as if it had -q map
it should not be doing this, this flag is
for running it without any input - it is needed for running scripts
and when using load state.

it does the same with -help

1.4 when mask is removed it still draws a hole there
but otherwise the mask seems to be working OK,
only when the difference in resolutions is big, the mask erases
part of the high resolution image. But this is an issue only for
special multiscale applications.

2. things which were in SG3d but were never ported to nviz

2.1 Legends, labels, including labels for sites
2.2 Scale, north
2.3 More options for display of sites based on their attributes

3. Experimental capabilities for combining volumes and surfaces in sg4d

3.1 Integration of r3.showdspf with surface visualization

other than that it runs great so far - although I haven't yet tried
everything

Helena