[GRASS5] NVIZ+legends

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Oct 9 03:54:17 EDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 10:30:33PM -0500, Helena Mitasova - staff wrote:

> Prasad,
>
> I have switched to LINUX recently and quickly discovered
> as you did that there is absolutely no reasonable way
> to create a legend in GRASS without SG3d which makes
> GRASS a pretty bad tool for working with spatial data
> when you cannot explain what you have in your image.
>
> I talked to Bill about the legends already -
> Bill is on this list too - Bill did you have a chance
> to look at the possibility to port the legends from
> SG3d to NVIZ? Are there any seroius obstacles to do that?
>
> Would it be possible for the developer of d.dm to
> add the legend tool there too?
>
> >d.legend needs to be updated....there is no facility to place the legend
> >exactly on the screen and also control the size of the text and boxes
>
> this was to great extend available in sg3d, including the
> user defined intervals, etc., but it is not available in NVIZ
> or for any other display tool (as far as I know)
>
> >2. For categorical maps with more than 10 classes, where user
> >discrimination
> >among colors becomes difficult, there should be a flash utility. Based on
> >d.legend ... we should be able to click on any legend box and have the
> >corresponding class flash on the map (on-off sequence with user defined
> >color).
>
> This would be very useful too.
>
> If anybody has time and ability to do something
> about legends you can find more details about the legend at
> http://www2.gis.uiuc.edu:2280/modviz/appdoc/sg3d42.html
>
> and it may be possible to use some of the code used in SG3d.
>
> Markus - aren't you missing the legends too?
Yes, desperately...

You are right: Legends are one of the big problems of GRASS
additionally to map printing as it is difficult to tell people
nowadays that they should use ps.map.

Your SG3d/SG4d modules are looking impressive, unfortunately
I don't have an SGI. So it would be great to merge the legend
code into NVIZ.

Hoping the best

 Markus