[GRASS5] NVIZ+legends

Helena Mitasova - staff helena at gis.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 7 23:30:33 EDT 2000

Prasad,

I have switched to LINUX recently and quickly discovered
as you did that there is absolutely no reasonable way
to create a legend in GRASS without SG3d which makes
GRASS a pretty bad tool for working with spatial data
when you cannot explain what you have in your image.

I talked to Bill about the legends already -
Bill is on this list too - Bill did you have a chance
to look at the possibility to port the legends from
SG3d to NVIZ? Are there any seroius obstacles to do that?

Would it be possible for the developer of d.dm to
add the legend tool there too?

>d.legend needs to be updated....there is no facility to place the legend
>exactly on the screen and also control the size of the text and boxes

this was to great extend available in sg3d, including the
user defined intervals, etc., but it is not available in NVIZ
or for any other display tool (as far as I know)

>2. For categorical maps with more than 10 classes, where user
>discrimination
>among colors becomes difficult, there should be a flash utility. Based on
>d.legend ... we should be able to click on any legend box and have the
>corresponding class flash on the map (on-off sequence with user defined
>color).

This would be very useful too.

If anybody has time and ability to do something
about legends you can find more details about the legend at
http://www2.gis.uiuc.edu:2280/modviz/appdoc/sg3d42.html

and it may be possible to use some of the code used in SG3d.

Markus - aren't you missing the legends too?

Helena