[GRASS5] Revised^2 Code Freeze schedule

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Fri Sep 22 10:42:38 EDT 2000

Markus Neteler wrote:
>  3) replace GRASS i/o routines by "libgrass" (Frank Warmerdam)

Markus,

It isn't clear to me that it is desirable for GRASS to directly use
libgrass.  Instead I would state the following objectives.

 o While restructing the build environment and source tree consider
   our options to build various component libraries as shared libraries
   to reduce the size of resulting command executables.

 o Migrate some (or all?) of the extended APIs in libgrass back into
   libgis.

Also, on the 3D vectors.  A change of vector format is a big change.  While
it might be doable by 5.1, I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that it
could or should be.  A vector/DBMS overhaul might instead be what defines
a GRASS 6.0.  Is this one of the areas that Baylor has been experimenting?

Best regards,