[GRASS5] Revised^2 Code Freeze schedule

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Sep 22 10:49:28 EDT 2000

Frank,

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 09:42:38AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >  3) replace GRASS i/o routines by "libgrass" (Frank Warmerdam)
>
> Markus,
>
> It isn't clear to me that it is desirable for GRASS to directly use
> libgrass.
My main intention is to keep it in sync.

>  Instead I would state the following objectives.
>
>  o While restructing the build environment and source tree consider
>    our options to build various component libraries as shared libraries
>    to reduce the size of resulting command executables.
Sounds good. As far as I know Michel Wurtz developed such concept for
GRASS 4.x once.

>  o Migrate some (or all?) of the extended APIs in libgrass back into
>    libgis.
That's of course even better. Shall I just remove this point from the
list?

> Also, on the 3D vectors.  A change of vector format is a big change.  While
> it might be doable by 5.1, I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that it
> could or should be.  A vector/DBMS overhaul might instead be what defines
> a GRASS 6.0.  Is this one of the areas that Baylor has been experimenting?
We have no ideas about Baylor "GRASS 6.0" ideas. But they hopefully explain
it here. As Radim has developed the new independent DBMS driver he and
David will have this vector/DBMS link in mind.

Thanks for your comments

 Markus