[GRASS5] Thought on my CVS problem

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Sep 19 11:42:54 EDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:27:57AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> First of all, I think there is a misunderstanding about the configure
> script. I agree with you that the configure script should stay in the
> CVS tree.

Why? It can be generated by autoconf. :)
But we might leave it in.

> Perhaps the misunderstanding came from my original post that
> suggested that src/include/config.h be removed from the tree. I thought
> that config.h was platform dependent since it is generated by configure.
> Am I wrong with this?

No. You are correct. Config.h ist platform dependent.

> Anyway, my contention is more for the lex and yacc generated files. I
> think I am starting to understand the situation more. Let me see if I've
> got this straight.
>
> You propose that we remove these files from the CVS tree but bundle them
> with our source code releases.

Yes. We could do this. We can also do it with configure.

> This sounds reasonable, except I still
> don't understand what will happen, for example, with my machine. Let's
> assume I download a source tarball that has the generated lex and yacc
> files. When I compile this on my machine, I have lex and yacc installed
> and they get called by Make. Thus, the pre-generated files are now
> replaced by ones generated by my version of lex and yacc. As I have
> shown, these files can be drastically different from the pre-generated
> files. My main concern now would be, do the new files have the same
> functionality as the ones that they overwrote? I don't know due to my
> lack of knowledge of lex and yacc.

The results of lex and yacc _should_ be platform independent.
(Though you might need a library for flex, IIRC.).
So if the make sees that there are files present it will not
start flex or bison to create them and use the one already there.

> If we can't answer this question reasonably, then should we guarantee
> somehow that the generated files in the tarball never get replaced by
> the local machine?

A proper Makefile should take care of this.

> Or is it safe to assume an appropriate file, although
> different, will be equal in functionality, and perhaps even more
> efficient since it may have been generated with vendor specific
> programs?

No, it might be that you need to start your version of flex or lex
if you are missing the library. The configure script could check for
this.

> Thank you for your patience with this.

No Problem.
	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)