[GRASS5] Postgresql and Grass

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Sep 15 16:33:02 EDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 01:47:26PM -0600, John Huddleston wrote:

> [...]

Is that a DTD or an XML Schema?  The new XML Schema standard looks like
a better way than SGML/XML DTD's.  It has better typing and pattern
matching constraints, to name a couple features.  These are the kinds of
things needed for databases.  It's pretty new, so there aren't many
tools to use it yet ;(

> Going with a proprietary format makes software solutions
> unattainable for those monetarily challenged.  Plus, software
> becomes obsolete (like Access).  SQL server, Informix,
> and Oracle are a large overhead.    mySQL is low overhead;
> however there is one other consideration...
>
> The flat ASCII file format has the benefit of being portable.
> If the meta data files are reasonably small, there is no large
> performance penalty for reading them.  Moving to an Xml
> based format is a reasonable alternative IMHO.

Still, for any reasonably large database some kind of indexing scheme is
necessary for performance.  Typing metadata is also desirable.  As a
note: the preferred standard for XML is Unicode (get those high
characters). I'm sure all our European friends would appreciate not
limiting to ASCII.

> I would be willing to assist in this direction.

Yes, I like this too.

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found