[GRASS5] Postgresql and Grass

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri Sep 15 15:47:26 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
To: <grass5 at geog.uni-hannover.de>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: [GRASS5] Postgresql and Grass

<snip>
>   A multiple-table (probably relational) design is needed because not all
> attributes of a single object should (can?) be stored in one table. Soils
> data, for example.

<snip>

I am familiar with the USDA NRCS soils database.  Recently,
I coverted their schema to an Xml DTD schema.  They are
going to post data to their users in both Access MDB format
as well as Xml format.

Going with a proprietary format makes software solutions
unattainable for those monetarily challenged.  Plus, software
becomes obsolete (like Access).  SQL server, Informix,
and Oracle are a large overhead.    mySQL is low overhead;
however there is one other consideration...

The flat ASCII file format has the benefit of being portable.
If the meta data files are reasonably small, there is no large
performance penalty for reading them.  Moving to an Xml
based format is a reasonable alternative IMHO.

I would be willing to assist in this direction.

John Huddleston