[GRASS5] Digging for license problems

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Sep 8 16:05:16 EDT 2000

With the recent license changes of the Uicu Group with Helena and Bill,
I started with the tedious task to check through the huge GRASS sources
for similiar problems. It is tedious because it can only create bad news,
but somebody has to do it...

Searching for the keyword "commercial"
I turned up a couple of problematic cases.

Let's start with the easy ones:
	The ones involving uicu were mailed to Helena directly and
	I expect them to released under GPL soon (Thanks to Helena).

And now the ones were we have to ask authors with more than one
contribution:

There are several commands by
 * Author: James Darrell McCauley (mccauley@@ecn.purdue.edu)
 *         USDA Fellow
 *         Department of Agricultural Engineering
 *         Purdue University
 *         West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1146 USA

 * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
 * documentation for non-commercial purposes is hereby granted. This
 * software is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

grass/src/sites/s.perturb/main.c
grass/src/sites/s.normal/main.c,v
grass/src/sites/s.perturb/main.c
grass/src/sites/s.rand/main.c
grass/src/sites/s.qcount/main.c
grass/src/sites/s.kcv/main.c
grass/src/sites/s.probplt/zstats.c
grass/src/sites/s.sample/main.c
grass/src/misc/m.ipf/main.c

	Jaroslav Hofierka:
 	He seems to have added software in 2000, when GRASS already
	was released under GPL.

 * This program, both binary and source is copyrighted, but available without
 * fee for education, research and non-commercial purposes.

grass/src/raster/r.flowmd/rflow5f_1.c
grass/src/raster/r.sun/sun11.c,v

(c) Copyright 2000: GeoModel s.r.o. Bratislava, Slovakia,
    http://www.geomodel.sk

If necessary, please contact the authors at hofierka at geomodel.sk or
paudits at gssr.sk

grass/src.contrib/GMSL/g3d/src3d/raster/r3.mapcalc
r3.mapcalc: 3D map algebra for GRASS GIS. GRASS G3D library is required.
grass/src.contrib/GMSL/g3d/src3d/raster/r3.in.v5d/main.c

And now the authors with minor contributions where we can ask:

	Jos van der Woude
# Permission granted to distribute freely for non-commercial purposes only
# Copyright (c) 1991, 1992 Jos van der Woude, jvdwoude@@hut.nl
grass/src/sites/s.qcount/tutorial/stat.inc

** Written by Nalneesh Gaur, Baxter E. Vieux summer 1993
** University of Oklahoma, Norman, Ok - 73019
** Copyright Baxter E. Vieux, Nalneesh Gaur 1993
** This software may not be used for commercial purposes without the prior
** Permission of the authors. The methodology and the technique used in
** these programs is a property of the authors.
** r.water.fea program, This program calls other programs */
grass/src.contrib/CERL/raster/r.water.fea/src/inter/main.c

grass/src/libes/geom/basic/cb_doprnt.c
	Steve Summit

And now the ones which look like we do not have a big chance here,
I suggest moving them into non.GPL until we can get an answer:

	Numerical Recipes:

grass/src.contrib/CERL/sites/s.surf.krig/NR.c
/*-
NUMERICAL RECIPES ROUTINES BELOW
ludcmp routine - finds inverse of matrix A
/*-lubksb routine - multiplies inverse of matrix A (from lucmp) by matrix b
*                   and returns matrix x (weights) in "b".

	Ferdinando Villa
	Institute of Ecology, University of Parma
	Viale delle Scienze, 43100 Parma, Italy
	email: villa at eagle.bio.unipr.it

The software in ./lib has been developed under commercial contract. I have
obtained permission to distribute it provided that:

	1) it is only used within the GRASS package I am distributed;
	2) it is only used for non-profit purposes.
grass/src.contrib/OTHER/r.concordance

	Ennio Pozzetti
grass/src.garden/grass.oracle2/d.ora.rast/cmd/idc.c
/* Copyright (C) 1994-1999 NSA srl - Ennio Pozzetti (pozzetti@@nsa.it)
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * modification, are not permitted without the Author written permission.
 *
 * This library is free for non-commercial use as long as
 * the following conditions are aheared to.  The following conditions
  * The licence and distribution terms for any available version or

 * derivative of this code cannot be changed.  i.e. this code cannot simply be
 * copied and put under another distribution licence
 * [including the GNU Public Licence.]

Anybody want to contact somebody from the list?
	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)