[GRASS5] Cygwin build of Grass5

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Mon Sep 4 18:03:01 EDT 2000

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 09:22:12AM -0600, John Huddleston wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > No shared (DLL) libraries are being built.   The binaries
> > both .a and .exe are placed under the /usr/local/grass-5.0b
> > area as well as all the other support files during the gmake5
> > process.   It builds the same as the Unix build.   Except for
> > executables with .exe, all the files look like Unix files.

> as the new Makefiles may require a better source code structure,
> I would be glad to go for it. Actually I am not too happy with
> current code structure!

Hear, hear!!

> Eric, please send suggestions for a new directory structure.
> I already have some ideas, but you already have experience
> what's required for the new Makefiles.

I tried rearranging the code and makefiles recently to build Win32 DLL's for
each sub-directory of the libes directory because I wanted to be able to use
the Grass library with Moscow ML.  Most of the transition went smoothly but
I gave up on the various subdirectories in vect32, which are interdependent.

Win32 DLL's need to have all references resolved at link time which is not
the case for Unix so those interdependencies need to be eliminated, or
vect32 needs to be built as one big DLL rather than separate ones as the
current arrangement dictates.

I posted a couple of emails about this recently but got no response.  I
realise that DLL's are of no interest for normal GRASS development, so these
comments may not be relevant, but just in case....

Cheers

Mike Thomas.