[GRASS5] Cygwin build of Grass5

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Sep 4 12:19:16 EDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 09:22:12AM -0600, John Huddleston wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> No shared (DLL) libraries are being built.   The binaries
> both .a and .exe are placed under the /usr/local/grass-5.0b
> area as well as all the other support files during the gmake5
> process.   It builds the same as the Unix build.   Except for
> executables with .exe, all the files look like Unix files.
>
> I guess the major secret is that I added a Gmakefile in all
> the directories where they did not exist.   The lines in the
> Gmakefile are
>
> all:
>     $(MAKEALL)
>
> That's most of it.

Eric, John and all,

as the new Makefiles may require a better source code structure,
I would be glad to go for it. Actually I am not too happy with
current code structure! But I am not shure how we can manage
a major restructuring in CVS (John, you will know...).
Shall we check in the restructured GRASS from scratch?

Eric, please send suggestions for a new directory structure.
I already have some ideas, but you already have experience
what's required for the new Makefiles.

>I ran the testgrass.sh and it passed all
> except for the last which was supposed to fail.  Actually,
> I would like Markus, and others, to add more to the testgrass.sh
> to verify that all programs will run.
.. yes, please add further tests. I have limited time
these days, so you are welcome to add further things.

What could be tested:
- generate raster/vector files, convert to contrary format,
  convert back and compare
- generate synthetic pattern, compare different modules to
  measure perimeter, area, average etc.
- ...

As GRASS is scriptable, we should be able to write a sophisticated
test suite.

Yours

 Markus