[GRASS5] Driver Update

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Apr 30 06:14:20 EDT 2001

Justin Hickey wrote:

> >   We previously established that get_command() is returning non-zero.
> >   If you're not getting the "Premature EOF" message from
> >   get_command(), then the first read1(c) in get_command() must be
> >   returning non-zero.
> >
> >   If you're not getting the "Error reading input" message from
> >   read1(), then the read() call in read1() must be returning zero,
> >   indicating EOF from the client. Can you add a "if (n_read == 0)
> >   printf(...)" to read1() just to confirm this beyond doubt?
>
> Yes I believe this is correct, here is the output for your reference
> after an update about 6 hours ago.
>
> using default visual which is TrueColor
> Visual is read-only or using a private colormap
> ncolors: 32768
> allocating memory...
> About to call prepare_connection_sock
> About to call get_connection_sock
> Graphics driver [x0] started
> About to call Do-work (0)
> About to call get_connection_sock
> About to call Do-work (1)
> About to call Do-work (1)
> Warning - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.
> Check to see if the mouse is still active.
> ERROR - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.

Can you tell me roughly what sort of time intervals are involved here?

The first call to Do_work(1) should immediately follow
get_connection_sock(). The next call will occur after the first
command is read and processed.

The client should print the warning after 5 seconds, and the error
after a further 10 seconds.

The fact that Do_work(1) gets called a second time suggests that all
of the data has been sent. Or, at least, the driver isn't blocking
trying to send it. I've commited an update to
src/display/devices/lib/command.c which checks the return value from
the write() call, in case that's failing for some reason.

> Monitor: read1: n_read = 0
> get_command was != 0

This is to be expected; at this point, the client has given up and
closed the connection.