[GRASS5] i.composite problems verified

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Apr 29 22:58:49 EDT 2001

Glynn Clements wrote:

> 3. I've added a new d.rgb program which uses these functions. It
> *doesn't* support the "out=" parameter for generating a composite
> layer; it just takes three separate R/G/B layers and displays them on
> the monitor. If anyone plans on resurrecting the "out=" code, please
> turn it into a separate program (e.g. "r.rgb").
>
> So, if you import a 24-bit image with "r.in.ppm -b", then display the
> resulting layers with "d.rgb" on a 24-bit display, there should be no
> loss of data.

I've also added "r.out.ppm3", which creates a PPM image from red,
green and blue map layers.

The main components which are still missing[1] are RGB versions of the
"raster" command for p.map and ps.map. I'll look into ps.map next.

The paint system seems to only support paletted raster data, and only
256 colours at that. Is it still in widespread use? There aren't many
drivers (13, or 9 if you exclude NULL, ppm, preview and preview2).

Wouldn't it be better to scrap "paint" and just point people at
Ghostscript? Any updates to the paint architecture would presumably
require developers who have access to the technical specs of all of
these printers (or, at least, all of the ones which would still work
after an interface change).

[1] In the sense of being able to input, process and output RGB data
without having to squash it into GRASS' indexed-colour model.