[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1775] r.in.bin

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Fri Apr 27 08:30:19 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:45:37PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> >
> > Yan Fitterer wrote:
> >
> > > First, congratulations for a briliant program.
> > >
> > > My problem (is it a bug?):
> > > I'm getting a gtopo30 file from:
> > > http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/w020n90.html
> > >
> > > The I try to import the .DEM file into Grass with r.in.bin
> > >
> > > I get all OK (byte swap, signed integer, etc...) except that at a level of
> > > about 110 (going up a hill for ex.), the z (altitude) values suddently go to
> > > -120, and then increase in line with the terrain.
> > >
> > > Has anybody seen that behaviour?
> > >
> > > I'm running 5.0 beta 11 on Linux RH 7.0 (2.2.16 kernel)
> >
> > I get conflicting results.
> >
> > If I import it into an x-y location, I seem to get the behaviour which
> > you describe. OTOH, If I import it into the appropriate lat-lon
> > location, I don't have any problems (the only areas with negative
> > altitude are where I would expect, i.e. Holland).
> >
> > NB: I'm running the latest 5.0 CVS, and there's a bug where it ignores
> > the rows/cols parameters if you specify N/E/S/W (I've fixed this, but
> > CVS is down right now so I can't commit it).
>
> Glynn,
>
> Bob did much mork on r.in.bin, I think he will respond later this day (after
> getting up in Canada). Before commiting your bugfix:
> The idea was that you can import (AVHRR, xy) data by simply entering rows and
> cols. It would be nice if your fix could keep this feature.
>
> Just a remark,
>
>  Markus

Hello,

I am not sure I know what the bug is that is being described above. It
sounds like there might be a problem with how the signed integers are
converted. This was a routine that I took from the original r.in.bin and
never really tested too much.

However, if it works with one projection and not another (XY & Lat Lon),
then there is probably something else wrong.

Have you applied your fix to the CVS yet Glynn? If not you could email
it to me and I will take a look to see if something jogs my memory.

--
Bob Covill

Tekmap Consulting
P.O. Box 2016 Fall River, N.S.