[GRASS5] g.gnuplot

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 26 14:57:55 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

> > What's the score with g.gnuplot? It appears to be required by
>
> > My main question is should these programs be using g.gnuplot by
> > default? Or should I change them to use gnuplot? Is it worth handling
> > it through "configure"?
>
>   My opinion: leave the plotting program hook open.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

Right now, the "plotting program hook" is a compile-time macro
(PLOTPROG), which is (by default) defined to a program which most
users don't have (and which I can't locate).

I was suggesting either:

1. Changing the default to "gnuplot", as this is (AFAIK) more likely
to be installed than "g.gnuplot".

2. Adding code to "configure" (well, "configure.in") to allow the user
to choose the program without having to hand-edit several
(undocumented) header files.

I've since come up with some other options:

3. Change the programs to check for an environment variable (e.g.
"GRASS_GNUPLOT"), to allow the plotting program to be selected at
run-time.

4. Install a "g.gnuplot" script which calls "gnuplot" (but which could
be edited or removed by the user).