[GRASS5] g.gnuplot

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 26 14:16:11 EDT 2001

What's the score with g.gnuplot? It appears to be required by

	m.svfit
	s.probplt
	s.sv

These programs can presumably just use gnuplot, although all three
have the following in their private header file:

	#define PLOTPROG "g.gnuplot"

There may also be others; the above three were found during my search
for programs which used libraster. They all use the idiom:

	R_open_driver();
	R_close_driver();

to check that a graphics monitor is available (although this shouldn't
be necessary if vanilla gnuplot were used).

I'm guessing that g.gnuplot is (or was) an add-on, basically
comprising a "driver" for gnuplot. If so, is it still maintained? It's
not listed in the "optional" section of the REQUIREMENTS file (or
anywhere else I could find).

My main question is should these programs be using g.gnuplot by
default? Or should I change them to use gnuplot? Is it worth handling
it through "configure"?