[GRASS5] 5.0.0pre1 on mac osx

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 24 21:17:14 EDT 2001

Andy,

OK, looks like you're close.

andy agena wrote:

> Hi Malcom:
>
> > gmake5 > gmake5.out 2>&1
>
> the lib gmake seems fine:
>
> make: Nothing to be done for `all'
>
> however, the XDRIVER had the following:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> __XErrorFunction
> __XIOErrorFunction
> __Xdebug

These should be in libX11.a.  (I'm assuming static libraries here.)  Check for
them elsewhere,  in /usr/X11R6/lib do a 'grep XErrorFunction *.a'.  It should
report some file matches, if these are defined. If so, do a strings on the file
that is reported and pipe to 'grep ErrorFunction' ( strings foo.a | grep
ErrorFunction).  Look for close mismatches.   Also, grep for these strings in
/usr/X11R6/include and /usr/X11R6/include/X11 header files.  Maybe they are
redefined.  If you find libraries that have these check in your gmake5 output
file to see if the libraries needed are on the line creating XDRIVER.  If they
are redefined in an include file, you may need to add the #include statement in
the source file.

> I did a strings on ld, and they weren't in the file (should i add 'of
> course'?).
>
> > For tcl/tk, look for tcl.h, tk.h in places like /usr/include or
> > /usr/local/include.  Sometimes these are placed in different spots, so
> > do a find
> > if there are not in the standard spots.  Also look for libraries named
> > tcl8.*.a
> > or tcl8.*.so and tk8.*.a or tk8.*.so.  wish should be in /bin, /usr/bin
> > or
> > /usr/local/bin, but it may be called wish8.*.  Note that 8.0 and 8.3
> > are commonly
> > available now.
>
>   i unwrapped the Jeshua's  OS X tcl/tk tarballs again and there's no
> sign of tcl.h nor tk.h being installed.  libtcl8.0.a. libtk8.0.a, tk8.0,
> and tcl8.0 (and libtiff.a) are in /usr/local/lib, which I've since added
> to my PATH.

To recompile, you will need the headers.  Look for other tcl*.h or tk*.h files.
These can be obtained from various sites, but they should match the version of
the libraries that you have (i.e. 8.0.3, 8.0.5, etc.).  There are small
differences in some of the versions.  Based on where you found the libraries,
look for something in /usr/local/include.  If you still can't find them, these
can be provided.  Until you get the XDRIVER working, the tcltkgrass won't be as
much fun, so fix this later.

For the lib files, you don't need these in your path, you need to tell gmake5 to
use them.  To do that, look at the file in src/CMD/head/ that matches your system
architecture.  For cygwin it looks like src/CMD/head/head.i686-pc-cygwin.  It
should match the architecture that you are using, like the bin.** and dist.**
directories that were created by install.  The tcl/tk lines should look like the
lines in my head file here:

#tcl/tk stuff
TCLINCDIR           = -I/usr/local/include
TKINCDIR            = -I/usr/local/include
TCLTKLIBPATH        = -L/usr/local/lib
TCLTKLIBS           =  -ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0

> my wish8.0 is in /usr/local/bin, which was already  in my PATH.

Create a link to this file.  (cd to /usr/local/bin and do 'ln -s wish8.0 wish')

> > GL libraries and includes should be under the X11 path, in something
> > like
> > /usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/X11R6/include/GL or /usr/X11/lib and
> > /usr/X11/include/GL.  Check one of the Mac OS X sites, to see if others
> > have this
> > available.
>
> I have libGL.a and libGLw.a in /usr/X11R6/lib, plus a bunch of GL* in
> /usr/X11R6/include/GL

Check to see if these were found by configure.  Look at the head file again and
you should have something like:
#openGL files for NVIZ/r3.showdspf
OPENGLINC           =   -I/usr/X11R6/include
OPENGLwINC          =  -I/usr/X11R6/include
OPENGLLIB           =   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL
OPENGLULIB          =   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGLU

There may be differences, but as long as they match where you found the files on
your system, then leave them as is.  If there are obvious differences, then you
might have to tweak them to match your system.

While you're checking out the head.* file, look to see if the lines for includes
and libs for tiff, jpeg, png and zlib were defined.  If so, look to see if they
match similar include files and libraries (e.g.  tiff.h and libtiff.a, etc.)