[GRASS5] Re: G_fatal

Andrea Aime aaime at comune.modena.it
Mon Apr 23 06:35:48 EDT 2001

"Edzer J. Pebesma" wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > > according to the programmers manual, G_fatal is defined as
> > >
> > > int G_fatal_error(char *);
> > >
> > > but according to gisdefs.h, it is
> > >
> > > int G_fatal_error(char *,...);
>
> The first one will usually require the programmer to sprintf to a
> buffer, which easily leads to buffer overflows. The second one could
> be implemented much more safely.
> --

I agree with Edzer, althought I still haven't seen a module
that uses the second one (but until now I only played with
raster/vector conversion modules and with s.voronoi/s.delaunay...
BTW, I nearly fixed/rewrited them, in the next few days I will send
them to Markus...). IMHO it would be better to update the manual :-)
Andrea Aime