[GRASS5] Driver Update

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Apr 21 22:22:02 EDT 2001

Malcolm Blue wrote:

> On first try with the new drivers on Cygwin, I get an access violation during
> "d.mon x0" or "d.mon select=x0".  The monitor starts if I do "d.mon -s start=x0",
> but then crashes on "d.mon select=x0".

Is there anything to indicate whether it's the monitor (XDRIVER) or
d.mon/mon.select that's crashing?

> In my initial look at the code, I noticed that for libes/raster/io.c outbuf was
> defined as 2048 (BUFFERSIZ), while in display/devices/lib/connect.c inbuf is set
> to 4096.  I changed inbuf to 2048 and recompiled in display/devices/lib and
> display/devices/XDRIVER, but still got the same error.
>
> I'll look a little more to see if I can see where the error is coming from (but
> debugging on Cygwin is tedious at best - and only for console apps).  From my
> experience, access violations come from initialized variables or array/struct
> overflows.  Any idea where I should look first?

The first thing is to determine which program is crashing.

If it's mon.select, try checking out the old version of
src/libes/raster/io.c (use the "devices_cleanup_20000420" tag). If
that fixes it, the problem lies there. If it doesn't, or if it's
XDRIVER which is crashing, there are more files to consider.

A couple of questions: First, did you delete the old driverlib.a
libraries? Just doing "cvs update ; make" will have problems. Second,
were there any warnings relating to src/display/devices/*?