[GRASS5] Cleaning and merging v.in.dxf, v.in.dxf2

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Apr 19 12:46:38 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:05:42AM +0000, Michel Wurtz wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Perhaps he will update v.in./out.dxf/2 as well,
> > then consistency should be back.
>
> Ok, I had a look at v.[in|out].dxf{2} :
>
> I've synchronised v.in.dxf and v.in.dxf2 (merging the
> modifications done in both versions) : Markus, you can
> throw away v.in.dxf2 : v.in.dxf is the updated version
> (I have commited the changes in the current CVS tree)
Thanks, Michel. I have updated the release branch now (as
you wrote into the exp tree) and removed the v.in.dxf2.

> BTW, you can also delete the nps_dxf directory in v.in.dxf :
> it contains old stuff that is no more usefull (put it in
> the attic :-)
O.k., done.

> I looked also v.out.dxf and the actual export sheme is the
> following, with
>   GBVF = Grass Binary Vector File (in $LOCATION/dig...)
>   GAVF = Grass Ascii Vector file (in $LOCATION/dig_ascii)
>
> GBVF <-- v.in.arc <------------------------------ ESRI ungenerate files
> GBVF --> v.out.arc -----------------------------> ESRI ungenerate files
> GBVF <-- v.in.shape <---------------------------- ESRI shapefile
> GBVF --> v.out.shape ---------------------------> ESRI shapefile
> GBVF <-- m.in.e00 <------------------------------ .e00 ESRI export file
> GBVF --> v.out.e00 -----------------------------> .e00 ESRI export file
> GBVF <-- v.in.mif <------------------------------ mif/mid Mapinfo
> GBVF --> v.out.mapinfo -------------------------> mif/mid Mapinfo
>
> GBVF <--------------------------- v.in.dxf <----- .dxf file
> GBVF <-- v.in.ascii <--- GABF <-- v.in.dxf -a <-- .dxf file
> GBCF --> v.out.ascii --> GABF --> v.out.dxf ----> .dxf file
>
> Conclusion :
> 1- The dig_ascii directory seems only usefull for v.out.dxf, which
> should be rewritten to read binary vector files.  After that,
> v.[in|out].ascii should write anywhere (same thing as other import/
> export programs), and act as a general utility.

Here David and Radim may propose a solution.

> 2- v.out.mapinfo should certainly be named v.out.mif for consistency
>   (or v.in.mif renamed v.in.mapinfo)

We have both v.out.mapinfo and v.out.mif. Which one is current and
working (hi David)? We should remove any old version.

> 3- v.in.dlg and v.out.dlg seems to use a DLG directory in $LOCATION

Oh - another candidate... :-)

> 4- I didn't look at v.[in|out].atlas, nor v.in.gshhs, nor v.out.moss
> (is moss output really usefull ?)
I am not sure if v.[in|out].atlas is really working? Does anyone know?
And: shall we keep v.out.moss?

v.in.gshhs should read from the current directory (it uses fopen).
It is in working condition.

Thanks for the update, Michel,

 Markus