[GRASS5] testing GRASS5.0.0pre1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Apr 19 12:19:05 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:12:26AM -0400, mberglund wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> FWIW, r.in.gdal works like a champ on Suse 7.1 with the 2.4.X kernels.
> Compiles cleanly and runs fine (Producing useful output).
That's nice to hear.

> After you use r.in.gdal, please do me a favor and verify that you can use
> r.patch to attach a couple images together.
>
> I am trouble-shooting r.patch now as it produces NO output.
>
> r.patch gets to the point where it says is will produce the support files
> and then runs forever. Yesterday I let one process run for over 14 hours.
> No result was produced and the temp file did not change past the first 10
> minutes or so.
>
> Any results would be nice (I really hope I am not chasing shadows).
Mhhh...

I just tried r.patch with a small map:

g.region -p; date ; r.patch in=areaA,areaB out=patch; date
projection: 99 (Transverse Mercator)
zone:       0
datum:      potsdam
ellipsoid:  bessel
north:      5772695
south:      5766875
west:       3559800
east:       3569180
nsres:      5
ewres:      5
rows:       1164
cols:       1876
Don Apr 19 17:43:43 CEST 2001
r.patch: percent complete:  100%
CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR patch
Don Apr 19 17:43:49 CEST 2001

2MB of cells take 6 seconds to complete (1Ghz AMD). The result is looking
well. If you patch 500+MB, probably the tmp-space is too small (although
you should get a G_malloc() error message then)?

Probably you have a region problem. Try to run
g.region rast=myrastermap -p

on every map and see if the coordinates are o.k. I am pretty sure that
r.patch works properly.

Regards

 Markus