[GRASS5] testing GRASS5.0.0pre1

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Thu Apr 19 05:51:21 EDT 2001

Hi 2 all,

I checked out the 5.0.0pre1 tagged version from CVS (fresh checkout) and
recompiled on Linux, FreeBSD/Alpha, IRIX and Windows 2000/cygwin.

Linux (Red Hat 7.0, Kernel 2.2.17, gcc 2.96):
compiles without any problems, but could not test many
programs. Basics work (tcltkgrass, display etc.), but have to test
r.in.gdal and NVIZ 2.2.
Does someone have a set of testing data for r.in.gdal?

FreeBSD 4.2 (Alpha 64bit, gcc)
recompiles without problems, can not compile NVIZ2.2, because i
have not installed mesa/openGL.
Optimizing is not possible (removed -O2 flag!), due to bug in
gcc on FreeBSD-Alpha.
Works if i replace the wish script with a softlink to wish8.3
(How can i change the GRASS_WISH variable for my installation?).
I can confirm that it is possible to import ASCII/DXF vector files
and to manipulate them. The demo vector files are not readable due
to the 64bit environment.
Left out r.in.gdal and NVIZ 2.2.

IRIX 6.5 (32bit, latest gcc from freeware.sgi.com)
One has to remove the -I/usr/freeware/include line to gcc in order to
get any library to compile. Don't know why, but with the line the
libraries
fail to compile and nearly no modules are built.
I still use all options to ./configure, but i did not try if this is
still
needed. NVIZ 2.2 compiles and works! Great!
The only module i left out is r.in.gdal. Did not test postgresql.

Windows 2000/cygwin 1.1.8/gcc
Everything compiles out of the box (when using my compiling
instructions!).
I had a problem compiling r.mapcalc in
the first run, but could not reproduce this. With the StarNet demo
everything seems to work.
I left out r.in.gdal and NIVZ 2.2. r.in.gdal compiles, but last time i
tested it did only core-dump. NVZI does not compile, John reports that
it did
compile, but his fix does not work with my installation.
There are problems with localization libraries if installing the Windows
2000 binary (xtcltk binary) on NT 4.0. But the other way round it seems
to work. So one
should compile always on NT 4.0.
The odbc drivers compile, but i did not test anything. PostgreSQL does
not
compile on my machine, but i think that postgreSQL is not ready for
wider
use (you need a "cutting edge" cygwin1.dll and the ipc daemon installed
and
running in order to start the server part!).

The only real BUG that needs IMHO fixed for the 5.0.0stable version is
the
CELL driver problem.
The colors are sometimes wrong, but it is not always black/white that
are
changed. I have no clue.
On Windows in noticed that the CELL driver could only be started and
stopped
once, the socket is not removed, so that on restarting the driver i get
the
message "can not bind to socket...". Very annoying.
Is this a problem on Linux too? I have to check.

Minor bugs/problems (all with FreeBSD/ALPHA):

v.out.e00:
does not read vector files from other mapsets,
e. g. coastlines at PERMANENT, when in mapset andreas
Produces coredump on coastlines mapset from global5
dataset (on linux)!

v.out.arc:
not a bug, but the manual page does not mention
that the generated arc-files are stored under
$LOCATION/arc !

d.zoom (lat/lon on Alpha/FreeBSD):
does not keep color of vector file!
does not recognize that background color
was white/different from black?

d.zoom has problems with rubber-band box in lat/lon
locations?

sorry that some messages may not be clear, but i wrote this before the
easter break and my memory is fading...

cu,

Andreas
Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net