[GRASS5] which, less and SUBMITTING

GRASS grass at geni.cemtlo.com
Wed Apr 18 20:31:54 EDT 2001

From: Justin Hickey <jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th>
> Hello all
>
> Two points on this discussion.
>
> First "less" is not available on all platforms.
>
> Second, if I recall correctly, Huidae Cho was the author who added the
> $PAGER check. Huidae, what was the reason for adding this into Ini.sh?
> Was there a platform that required $PAGER to be set? Or was it just the
> preference of a user?

Hi all,

"man" needs PAGER env var to override a default pager. And if i remember
correctly, some programs want this var too. So I just used this env var
to use user's pager in GRASS.

> If $PAGER, is not actually required, then I vote that this part of
> Init.sh be removed.

I remember that there was inconsistency between grass modules which need pager.
So I decided to check this env var, which may be already set or not.
Using this var, we can use the same pager system widely.

If this causes any problem, PAGER may be renamed to GRASS_PAGER or etc.
Then, non-$PAGER user won't experience any inconsistency between GRASS and
UNIX.

Just my thought.

Regards,
Huidae Cho