[GRASS5] Volunteer wanted for CELL driver color problem

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Wed Apr 18 09:42:38 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Bob, Eric,
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:23:18AM -0300, Bob Covill wrote:
> > Markus,
> >
> > It has been a long time since I have used the CELL driver, but I decided
> > to take a look at it for investigating the color problem.
> >
> > Unfortunately I got off to a bad start. When I execute d.mon start=CELL
> > I get the following error maessage:
> >
> > Usage:  CELL [-] "input_fifo output_fifo"
> > No socket to connect to for monitor <CELL>.
> > Problem selecting CELL. Will try once more
> > No socket to connect to for monitor <CELL>.
> > ----------
> >
> > The CELL driver has been built and installed.
> >
> > Any idea why it will not start, socket / fifo problem ??
>
> This is strange:
>
> GRASS:~ > d.mon CELL
> Graphics driver [CELL] started
> Wait for 'READY'
> READY
> GRASS:~ > d.mon stop=CELL
> Monitor 'CELL' terminated
>
> GRASS:~ > d.mon start=CELL
> Can't bind to socket for monitor <CELL>. Already in use?
> Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
> Use d.mon to select a monitor
> Problem selecting CELL. Will try once more
> Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
> Use d.mon to select a monitor
>
> Obviously the start= parameter confuses d.mon. Without it works.
> Maybe again the timing story?
>
>  Markus

Markus,

I tried ...

d.mon CELL

and got the same error message.

The error you reported above does sound like the timing issue. Try ...

d.mon -s start=CELL

followed by ...

d.mon select=CELL

to see if that helps.

The error that I am getting is on my Solaris machine. I try my Linux
machine a little later and see if the same problem exists there, trying
to start the CELL driver.

--
Bob Covill

Tekmap Consulting