[GRASS5] v.in.arc: import files

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Apr 17 12:52:33 EDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:07:57AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to modify it that v.in.arc reads the file from the
> > current directory instead of $LOCATION/arc/ ?
>
> Markus,
>
>   Seems to me that a number of file location issues have surfaced recently
> because there is little consistency, apparently, among modules. I would like
> to suggest a change to be incorporated into 5.1.
>
>   The default location for all foreign-format source files (perhaps, for all
> files) will be the current working directory. This needs to be thought
> through and made consistent for the entire system. Also, such a change needs
> to be presented early in the documentation so new users understand the
> default behavior.

Rich,

the v.in.arc is the exception from above rule: It does *not* read from
the current working directory but only from $LOCATION/arc/ (like the
v.in.dxf, too). All other import modules read from current working
directory. Therefore I propose a change in v.in.arc/v.out.arc |
v.in.dxf/v.out.dxf to reach the wanted consistency.

Markus